The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) was founded in 1996 under the leadership of Dr. Richard Gibbs and is a world leader in genomics. The fundamental interests of the HGSC are in advancing biology and genetics by improved genome technologies. As one of the three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health, the HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work on the cutting-edge of genomic science in a state of the art institution. Today, the HGSC employs more than 170 Faculty, Staff and Students and it occupies more than 36,000 square feet on the 14th, 15th, and 16th floors of the Margaret M. and Albert B. Alkek Building. The HGSC is located on the southwest edge of downtown Houston, the fourth largest city in the U.S., in the Texas Medical Center, the world's largest medical complex. The major activity of the HGSC is high-throughput DNA sequence generation and the accompanying analysis. The HGSC is also involved in developing the next generation of DNA sequencing and bioinformatics technologies that will allow greater scientific advances in the future. The Human Genome Sequencing Center is seeking an Administrative Assistant to support the Director and Senior Faculty of the Center. Individual must be an independent worker, self-motivated, detail- oriented with superior organizational and written and verbal communication skills. Accuracy in work and following directions is very important. Must be able to handle multiple tasks, projects, deadlines and multiple personalities. Discretion, judgment, and ability to handle confidential matters are important.
- Provides executive support to center director.
- Provides administrative support to senior faculty members and managers.
- Maintains calendars, schedules meetings, and arranges appointments as instructed.
- Manages all aspects of travel for HGSC center including departmental and institutional leave requests, registration, hotel, transportation, honorariums, and reimbursements.
- Manages and organizes all aspects of the recruiting or visiting process for high profiled candidates or VIP guests
- Prepares memos, general correspondence, graphs, and power point presentations.
- Maintains and updates faculty curriculum vitae in required institutional format utilizing medical publication websites.
- Monitors and maintains publications and bibliography’s for HGSC faculty.
- Prepares monthly reconciliation reports for Fast card.
- Prepares purchase orders, checks requests, cash request and travel reimbursements
- Responsible for organizing, coordinating, and managing special events.
- Monitors the inventory of office supplies, equipment and miscellaneous.
- Assists with grant preparations.
- Assists with recruitment process (setting up travel and interview schedules).
- Assists with maintenance with facility services.
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Finance, Management, Accounting, Public Health, or Health Administration or Four years of relevant work experience in a business administration/business management setting can be substituted in lieu of a degree.
- No experience required with Bachelor's degree or Four years of relevant work experience in a business administration/business management setting without a Bachelor's degree.
- Experience with Microsoft office and Outlook.
Preferred: Previous experience in an academic or research environment.