This is a junior position. Under the direction of senior employee, develops and uses automation to validate, format, and submit data and its associated metadata to various external destinations such as the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI). Repetitive tasks must be automated, so that at least 50% of time is either learning or programming.
- Uses semi-automated workflows to validate, format, and submit Next-Gen sequence and assembly data along with its associated metadata.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs, and maintains programs for processing metadata relating to genome sequences.
- Maintains and improves a system for tracking genomic data and related metadata for submission to national archives.
- Researches, assesses, imports, configures, and customizes third-party software in order to achieve team goals.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Biological Sciences.
- No experience required.
- Familiarity with one or more scripting languages such as Perl, Python, or Ruby.
- Experience with running commands in Unix/Linux shells.
- Exposure to computational biology, genome informatics, or biological laboratory processes.
- Familiarity with databases, either relational or non-relational.
- Experience with any other programming languages or informatics systems will be considered a plus.