The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at the Baylor College of Medicine is currently seeking a Web/Java and Reports Developer with four or more years of software development experience to design and develop applications for Laboratory Information Management Systems and Genomic Research utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. As one of the three major centers in the United States, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting edge genomic science. BCM-HGSC is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to work in a rapidly evolving research lab to create world-class software. This new member will work with researchers to create unique and impactful applications that will further the understanding of genetic diseases.
BCM-HGSC offers opportunities that provide both educational and professional growth. No matter what the role, our employees make a significant contribution to genome research and tomorrow's science in a family-friendly work environment. BCM-HGSC is located in the Texas Medical Center and provides an academic environment that balances work and personal life.
Internal Title: Senior Programmer/Analyst; External Title: Java Developer
This position works 1-2 days per week from the office and the other days remotely.
- Handle full life-cycle projects including functional design, systems design, implementation and testing.
- Manage user support and collaborating with other groups at the HGSC.
- Ensure implementations are adequately tested and documented and approved by affected users/stakeholders.
- Familiar with the software development lifecycle and with the associated technologies and tools used to develop, test and deploy software.
- Analyze and understand business requirements as accurately as possible to design and build corresponding applications to match requirements.
- Cross group collaboration with other groups and roles at the HGSC.
- Interact with business to help manage requirements, testing/validation and delivery for clinical projects.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, or a related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Four years of relevant experience.
- Four or more years of hands-on software development experience.
- Four or more years of Java/J2EE architecture and development experience.
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle preferred) and SQL.
- Experience with Reporting Applications.
- Experience with developing RESTful web services.
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, GWT, Spring MVC) preferred.
- Ability to develop multi-tier scalable, robust and reliable applications that operate 24x7.
- Ability to build Java web applications and services, working with relevant tools (IDEs, Maven, JUnit, etc.).
- Good communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work in an agile/iterative development team.
- Required skills: Java, Spring, Tomcat, Linux, SQL, Git, Maven, RESTful services.
- Technology environment: Java, Spring, Reporting and Visualization software, Oracle, Tomcat, LINUX, Maven, Git, RESTful services.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.