The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) at the is currently seeking a Java Developer with three or more years of software development experience to design and develop applications for Laboratory Information Management Systems and Genomic Research utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. As one of the three major centers in the United States, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting edge genomic science.
BCM-HGSC is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to work in a rapidly evolving research lab to create world-class software. This new member will work with researchers to create unique and impactful applications that will further the understanding of genetic diseases.
BCM-HGSC offers opportunities that provide both educational and professional growth. No matter what the role, our employees make a significant contribution to genome research and tomorrow’s science in a family-friendly work environment.
BCM-HGSC is located in the Texas Medical Center and provides an academic environment that balances work and personal life.
- Design and development of new applications as projects are identified. Responsible for maintaining existing applications.
- Works collaboratively with other groups across IT, escalating issues to the appropriate teams.
- Displays a desire to learn and grasp new concepts quickly.
- Ensures implementations are properly tested, approved by affected stakeholders, and documented for hand-off to operational support.
- Develops standard operating procedures and other documentation to appropriately transfer knowledge to operational support teams.
- Must be able to meet deadline commitments on time and produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- Performs other job related duties as assigned.
Technology environment: Java, GWT, Hibernate, jQuery, mySQL/Oracle, Perl, Python, Tomcat, UNIX/LINUX, Archiva, Maven, SVN, RESTful services.
BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related fields.
- 3 or more years of hands on software development experience.
- 3 or more years of Java/J2EE architecture & development experience.
- Experience with relational databases (both transactional and non-transactional), SQL and ORM technologies (e.g. Hibernate).
- Experience with the Oracle RDBMS.
- Hands on experience in designing and developing N-tier applications using Java/J2EE platforms.
- Experience with object oriented analysis and design using common design patterns.
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC).
- Experience with the Spring Framework preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Bioinformatics/Genomics application development is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems is preferred.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team.
- Ability to develop multi-tier scalable, robust and reliable applications that operate 24x7.
- Ability to build Java web applications and services, working with relevant tools (IDEs, ant, junit, etc.).
- Good communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work in an agile/iterative development team.