The Baylor College of Medicine, Human Genome Sequencing Center-Clinical Laboratory (HGSC-CL) is recruiting for a Medical Genetics Tech II position. The HGSC-Clinical Laboratory is responsible for preparation of samples for NGS using capture methods in support of a number of high throughput clinical programs. The position would principally involve in NGS, library construction, hybrid capture methods, SNP array genotyping, and Sanger pipeline production in a CAP/CLIA environment. The candidate should be able to work independently and within a team to process samples in the production pipeline. Qualified candidates should be good at multi-tasking, problem-solving, and have strong communication skills. He/she should be flexible and adapt to the clinic environment and commit to finishing HGSC-CL goals in a timely manner.
- Processing samples with robotics for lab procedures including library construction, and hybridization for Next Generation Sequencing (NGS).
- PCR amplification and Sanger sequencing methods for variant validation.
- Maintenance of instruments such as Covaris Sonicator, Beckman Robots, Agilent Bioanalyzer.
- Sequencing on platforms such as Illumina HiSeq 2500, NovaSeq, and ABI 3730 instruments.
- SNP array genotyping with Illumina and Fluidigm platforms.
- Update LIMS, sample tracking and project summary using excel sheets.
- Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze data. Interpret detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Troubleshoot problematic results for library construction, capture and sequencing methods.
- Track the inventory for reagents and report to team lead when furthering order is needed.
- Assist and train staff for production procedures.
- Assist team lead in laboratory management.
- Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related field.
- One year of directly related experience.
- Certification/registration as a Medical Technologist by The American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) or certification as a Clinical Lab Specialist in Genetics (NCA).
Preferred: Molecular Biology skills including nucleic acid handling, enzymatic reaction, PCR reaction et. al. Sanger sequencing experience.