Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, managing all aspects of a Linux High Performance Compute farm, HP/Sun/SGI/NT servers, UNIX workstations, SAN/NAS/DAS storage (StorNext and BlueArc), 40TB Tape Library and approximately 250 PCs, Apple computers and Xterms.
Primary technical responsibilities include:
- Maintain a computing environment that supports 24/7 sequence production operations.
- Perform systems analysis of performance, security and design in a high performance, heterogeneous networking environment.
- Draft technical reports on system design, usage, and improvements.
- Conduct equipment evaluations for IT expansion, and address associated IT problems and issues.
- Lead and approve changes to system configurations that improve the performance of hardware and software applications.
- Plan and develop improved technology and concepts in computer equipment and systems.
- Consult with faculty and staff on the development and maintenance of systems capable of serving high-performance scientific computing needs.
- Experience with integrating local systems into private/public cloud environments.
Primary non-technical responsibilities include:
- Build and lead a strong and highly motivated systems administration team whose primary goal is to serve the scientific needs of the HGSC.
- Promote technical and non-technical development of your staff perform regular
- Develop, communicate, and execute clearly defined project schedules.
- Coordinate project management efforts with system administrators, network administrators, database administrators, programmers, senior managers and third party specialists.
- Prepare project analyses and risk management plans.
- Be a part of an on call rotation that does 24/7 monitoring.
- Maintain a service-oriented approach to systems administration whose primary goal is to work closely with staff and faculty to anticipate and inform their needs.
This position will directly report to the Director of the HGSC.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
Experience in supporting hardware and software solutions for a high through-put scientific environment, particularly NexGen DNA sequence production.
- Familiarity with hardware at the system architecture level.
- Minimum 8 years Linux administration experience, with documented skills in scripting, job scheduling, and meeting "big data" networking and storage needs.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience managing and leading a systems administration team.
- Work together with Senior HGSC Management to respond to short- and long-term center goals.