The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. As one of the three major centers in the United States, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting edge genomic science. BCM-HGSC is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to work in a rapidly evolving research lab to create world-class software. This new member will work with researchers to create unique and impactful applications that will further the understanding of genetic diseases. BCM-HGSC offers opportunities that provide both educational and professional growth. No matter what the role, our employees make a significant contribution to genome research and tomorrow's science in a family-friendly work environment. BCM-HGSC is located in the Texas Medical Center and provides an academic environment that balances work and personal life.
The Human Genome Sequencing Center (HGSC) at the Baylor College of Medicine is currently seeking a Programmer Analyst to design and develop clinical and research applications utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
- Design and develop clinical and research applications utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
- Work independently or collaboratively with other team members to develop and maintain new and existing applications.
- Ensure implementations are adequately tested and documented and approved by affected users/stakeholders.
- Work collaboratively with other groups across IT, escalating issues to the appropriate teams.
- Display a desire to learn and grasp new concepts quickly.
- Meet deadline commitments on time and produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Information Technology, or a related field. Four years of related experience may substitute for degree requirement.
- Experience: Three years of relevant experience.
- Java Certification preferred.
- Experience with developing RESTful web services.
- Experience with relational databases (Oracle preferred), SQL and ORM technologies (e.g. Hibernate).
- Ability to develop multi-tier scalable, robust and reliable applications that operate 24x7.
- Good communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work in an agile/iterative development team.