Human Genome Sequencing Center
$38,212 - $51,683
Texas Medical Center, Houston, TX
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is seeking to recruit a Research Assistant (RA- I) to work in the Research and Development group. The position would principally involve sample preparation for long read sequencing applications (Oxford Nanopore and PacBio instrumentation) including DNA QC, Long Read DNA/RNA library construction, target enrichment and other cutting edge long read technology applications.
- Perform library construction methods using both manual and automated protocols (SOPs)
- Participate in a team environment to assist in development of new applications
- Attend routine technical meetings and assist with general laboratory updates
- Document experiment procedures.
- Collect, compile, evaluate and analyze data.
- Interpret detailed assay procedures and test results.
- Prepare reagent, solutions, and oligos used for production.
- Update LIMS, sample tracking and project summary using excel sheets.
- Perform routine laboratory equipment maintenance and log records as required.
- Troubleshoot problematic results.
- Track the inventory for reagents and report to team lead when furthering order is needed.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Two years of relevant experience.
- Master's degree in biological science or equivalent.
- ASCP or equivalent certification is preferred not required.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.