The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is currently seeking a hands-on Senior Java Architect with over ten years of software development experience to architect, design and develop applications for Laboratory Information Management Systems and Genomic Research utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
The Baylor College of Medicine Human Genome Sequencing Center (BCM-HGSC) is one of three large-scale sequencing centers funded by the National Institutes of Health. As one of the three major centers in the United States, the BCM-HGSC provides a unique opportunity to work with cutting edge genomic science.
BCM-HGSC is currently seeking an enthusiastic individual to work in a rapidly evolving research lab to create world-class software. This new member will work with researchers to create unique and impactful applications that will further the understanding of genetic diseases.
BCM-HGSC offers opportunities that provide both educational and professional growth. No matter what the role, our employees make a significant contribution to genome research and tomorrow’s science in a family-friendly work environment.
BCM-HGSC is located in the Texas Medical Center and provides an academic environment that balances work and personal life.
- Architect, design and develop applications for Laboratory Information Management Systems and Genomic Research utilizing established architecture, standard design patterns and coding practices.
- Establish an architectural framework based on reusable components and standardized data models to enable the creation of scalable and robust applications.
- Identify and evaluate development frameworks, tools and technologies to engineer and build software applications to support genomic research.
- Work collaboratively with other technology/research groups for data integration and reporting.
- Provide technical integration expertise and recommend appropriate solutions based on available architecture. Works with management personnel to architect solutions to support HGSC’s needs.
- Display a desire to learn and grasp new concepts quickly and implement robust and scalable applications.
- Lead and mentor a team of developers.
- Ensure implementations are properly tested, approved by affected stakeholders, and documented for hand-off to operational support and maintenance.
- Develop standard operating procedures and other documentation to appropriately transfer knowledge to operational support teams.
- Meet deadline commitments on time and produce high quality software that is unit tested, code reviewed, and checked in regularly for continuous integration.
- Ability to evaluate information gathered from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details, abstract up from low-level information to a general understanding, and distinguish user requests from the underlying true needs.
- Perform other job related duties as assigned.
Technology environment: Java, GWT, Hibernate, jQuery, mySQL/Oracle, Perl, Python, Tomcat, UNIX/LINUX, Archiva, Maven, SVN, RESTful services.
BS/MS degree in Computer Science, Applied Math, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology or related fields.
- 10 or more years of hands on software development experience.
- 6 or more years of Java/J2EE architecture & development experience.
- Experience with relational databases (both transactional and non-transactional), SQL and ORM technologies (e.g. Hibernate).
- Experience with the Oracle RDBMS.
- Hands on experience in architecting, designing and developing N-tier applications using Java/J2EE platforms.
- Hands on experience in building and maintaining enterprise scale production software applications using best practices and design patterns.
- Experience with object oriented analysis and design using common design patterns.
- Experience with the Spring Framework.
- Experience in developing web applications using at least one popular web framework (JSF, Wicket, GWT, Spring MVC).
- Experience with leading and mentoring a team of developers.
- Excellent communication, organizational and presentation skills.
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a collaborative team.
- Ability to develop multi-tier scalable, robust and reliable applications that operate 24x7.
- Ability to build Java web applications and services, working with relevant tools (IDEs, ant, junit, etc.).
- Strong communication and collaboration skills and the ability to work in an agile/iterative development team.
- A comprehensive understanding of the product life cycle.
- A complete understanding of the software development process is critical, preferably the Agile SDLC.
- Knowledge and experience with Bioinformatics/Genomics application development is preferred.
- Knowledge and experience with Laboratory Information Management Systems is preferred.